Discounts for trains in Croatia
Travelling by train in Croatia is not always the top choice of passengers who sometimes overlook the benefits of such a journey. Trains in Croatia are operated by a single company Croatian Railways (Hrvatske Željeznice or HŽ) which developed numerous benefits and discounts for their travelers over time. Along with regular discounts for children, students, and seniors, HŽ offers different group discounts and develops various benefit programs.
If you plan on travelling to Croatia by train, the following guide will present you with different types of train discounts for passengers.
HŽ provides regular discounts for passengers according to the group they belong to. Below is the list of discounts all passengers on domestic routes can get while purchasing the tickets:
- Children up to the age of 6 travel for free if accompanied by an adult
- Children from 6 to 12 get a 50% discount
- Students get a 50% discount
- Seniors get a 50% discount
Young people, between the age of 12 and 26, can purchase one of the following cards:
- EYCA – issued by Croatian Youth Hostel Association
- hi.euro – issued by Croatian Youth Hostel Association
- ISIC-SCHOLAR – issued by WYSE Travel Organization
- ISIC-STUDENT – issued by WYSE Travel Organization
These cards provide a 25% discount for an unlimited number of single and return journeys. Discounts apply to high school students, full-time students, young citizens of the Republic of Croatia, and young people from abroad.
People with disabilities
People with disabilities and reduced mobility get a 75% discount on 4 outbound and return journeys per year. A person accompanying the person with disabilities on these journeys gets a 100% discount. Both people with disabilities or reduced mobility and their company need to have a valid certificate issued by the County State Administration Office.
NOTE: Croatia Railways staff provide assistance to disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility free of charge when boarding and getting off the train, as well as during the entire journey. However, it is recommended that you notify the company at least 48 hours prior to your departure so they can ensure you get the required assistance.
Discounts for groups
Announced and organized groups of 5 or more adult passengers can get a 30% to 50% discount.
Announced groups of 5 or more passengers on journeys organized by educational facilities get 75 to 85% discount as follows:
- Preschool groups and their guardians 85% discount (any date and departure)
- Elementary school groups and their teachers get a 75% discount (any date and departure)
- High school groups and their teachers get a 75% discount (on Saturdays and Sundays up to 1:00 pm)
- Regular student groups and their professors get a 75% discount (on Saturdays and Sundays up to 1:00 pm)
Groups of 6 or more people up to the age of 20 get a 70% discount on single and return journeys between Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia, and Austria.
Family groups of 3 to 10 members get 40% to 50% discount as follows:
- 50% discount applies to families with more (or the same number of) children between the ages of 6 and 15 than adults
- 40% discount applies to families with more adults than children
- Discount applies to families with at least one child passenger between the ages of 6 and 15
Croatian Railways developed benefit programs in cooperation with different tourist and cultural facilities all over Croatia. Passengers who travel to Croatia by train can check with HŽ if there are any discounts offered by the company and the facilities. These often include cheaper train tickets in combination with lower entrance fees to museums and galleries, cheaper accommodation prices in various hotels, discounts in spa & wellness facilities, or extra tickets for theater plays and other events. For more information about active offers and benefit programs check out the official website of Croatian Railways.